My very own kitchen clock–simple DIY!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My very own kitchen clock–simple DIY!

I love sleeping but due to a bad back my sleep is always disturbed. That is why I don’t sleep well and hence I am always running late for work. We used to have a clock in the dining area but I had to step out of the kitchen to see the time while cooking. So one fine day I decided to get a clock put up in the kitchen. We looked around and found a boring clock lying around the house.

It was a big round clock with a plain white face. The only saving grace was a bright red circumference which caught my eye. Now I really did not want to look at this boring thing every morning so I wanted to convert it into something brighter. And since my plan was to put it up in the kitchen I knew my them for the next DIY was staring at me in the face!

This is what the clock looked like (except the hands were all plain black) before it came in my hands!


After some effort this is what became of my boring clock – transformed into a pretty kitchen wall clock!
kitchen-clock




To create this piece first I took my husband’s help to dismantle the whole thing so that I was left with an empty white canvas to work on. Then started the hunt for bright pictures that could adorn my canvas. I took old magazines lying around the house (mostly Good Housekeeping) and searched for bright pictures of edible stuff. Then I cut these pictures into sizes that would look good on the clock. I cut out several objects, placed them on the clock face until I was satisfied with the look. Then I took glue and stuck the pictures on carefully marking out the different hours so that I could still tell the time when my little project was over. The strawberry sits at 12 o’clock while a fruit bowl is for mid day break at 3 o’clock. For evening snacks at 6 o’clock I have a bunch of crackers with fresh cheese. And ending the day at 9 o’clock are yummy chocolate cookies!

For marking out the rest of the hours I took small tea cup pictures and pasted them at 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 11 o’clock.

Once everything was stuck the clock was put back into place. Now I wasn’t happy with the boring hands of the clock and so I searched for more images, this time long thin ones. For the hour hand I stuck a small bright yellow bell pepper. For the minute hand I found picture of a healthy wheat stalk. And for the seconds hand I found a long red chilli!

The colors were enhanced by the red frame of the clock and now every morning I am greeted by a big bright clock in the kitchen which I don’t mind looking at!

kitchen-clock-hands


Hope you liked my simple thought which changed this boring clock to one which I really like now. Do you have a clock lying around which you want to transform with a particular theme in mind?

Please do note that once you stick the pictures on the face of the clock put the clock back together before sticking anything on the hands of the clock to prevent tearing off of the pictures glued to the hands of the clock.

4 comments:

  1. I am amazed wid your creativity Shilpa!! i can never think creative :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no problems - whenever you need ideas check out my blog or shoot me a mail!

      Delete
  2. So cool! I should try this some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, please share the pics if you do something like this :)

      Delete

I love to read your comments. Its great to connect with you here but its my humble request - please do not leave marketing links here. If you would like me to visit your blog just leave a text message instead of hyper links!

linkwithin